Friday, February 4, 2011

The Spring Cometh by Elizabeth of SerendipiT


Well, it's hard to believe that winter will ever end, especially since the majority of the U.S. is being hammered by awful winter weather for the last week or so. Snow, ice and wintry mix, the forecast buzzwords that can be heard everywhere along the North East lately don't exactly call to mind fun in the sun. However, the folks at Pantone, who begin looking at fashion runways in the fall, analyze what they see and predict the colors for the next season. After, they post the Pantone Fashion Color Report filled with their predictions. What I find particularly exciting is that this year's colors have been themed, "An Exotic Journey". And seriously, who doesn't want to go on one of those? I can easily sit here at my desk and imagine myself being whisked away to someplace warm and exotic like Morocco, India, Egypt to name a few. It's likely that designers have tapped into our collective subconscious as they determine which colors will lead the next trends. In thinking of the U.S., where are we as a nation? Well, mostly we are depressed, anxious and weary as embattled consumers await the spring of our financial discontent. These colors represent our "need to escape" and perk up our wardrobes with "feel-good" colors like Honeysuckle pink. What I found most interesting is that they have tried to appeal to our newly found frugality by allowing us to work with the wardrobe we already have rather than encouraging us to toss everything and don something more avant-garde. The Pantone Fashion Color Report says, "By cleverly combining complementary colors, those that are opposites on the color wheel, they have created a striking intensity in the palette. These unique color combinations make it possible for consumers to pair existing pieces in colors traditionally associated with fall, with new favorites to punch up springtime wardrobes." That's certainly good news for women like me, who are always looking for new and interesting ways to work with what we already have. I was happy to see some of my very favorite colors included, variations of teal, turquoise, pink and purple. One color that I see myself adding to my wardrobe for the spring is mustard yellow. It is similar to the beeswax listed in the report, but a bit more earthy and is more flattering to my particular skin tone. Interestingly enough, sunny yellow has always signified optimism. Maybe that means that our collective consciousness has finally taken a sigh, decided that it can only go up from here and are trying to move past the anger, outrage and utter desperation that many of us have felt from the seeming bailout of Wall St. and the abandonment of Main St. I, for one, am happy to be moving to a sunnier side of the street.

I'll be incorporating these colors into my personal wardrobe and focusing on these color combinations for my Etsy store, SerendipiT and the Fashion:Remix Team Store as well.

In the meantime, enjoy my mustard inspired treasury.



Happy Travels to your faraway land of choice. Even if that exotic locale exists only in your mind and can only be accessed from your couch. Where will you be traveling?





*This post originally appeared on http://icouldsewdothat.com/archives/557.

No comments:

Post a Comment